Hurricane Florence Disaster Relief and Recovery Information
Important Hurricane Florence Information:
For Life Threatening Emergencies: Dial 9-1-1
For Non-Life Threatening Situations and the Latest Information on Hurricane Florence: Dial 2-1-1
U.S. Coast Guard Search and Rescue: Dial 1-757-398-6700
Evacuation Orders: Go to NCDPS.Gov/Florence for the latest evacuation updates and check DriveNC.gov for the most recent information on road closures. This information is changing quickly, so please stay safe and up to date.
Dialysis Services: Dial 1-800-524-7139 for emergency dialysis services.
For Fuel and Gas: Visit GasBuddy.com or download the app.
NC Emergency Management: Follow NC Emergency Management on Twitter (@NCEmergency) for updates and statements from state and local officials. Get more updates by downloading the ReadyNC app, available along with more info on ReadyNC.org.
American Red Cross: Find hurricane safety and preparedness tips on RedCross.org or follow the group on Twitter (@RedCross) or Facebook (Red Cross). You can find a list of open emergency evacuation shelters here.
Disaster Recovery and Relief Information:
Disaster Relief: Visit DisasterAssistance.Gov or dial 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should dial 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), dial 1-800-621-3362.
The following counties are designated for individual assistance under FEMA’s Major Disaster Declaration: Beaufort, Bladen, Brunswick, Carteret, Columbus, Craven, Cumberland, Duplin, Harnett, Hoke, Hyde, Johnson Jones, Lee, Lenoir, Moore, New Hanover, Onslow, Pamlico, Pender, Pitt, Richmond, Robeson, Sampson, Scotland, Wayne and Wilson Counties.
The following counties are designated for public assistance, under FEMA’S Major Disaster Declaration: Bladen, Brunswick, Carteret, Columbus, Craven, Cumberland, Duplin, Harnett, Hoke, Hyde, Johnson, Jones, Lee, Lenoir, Moore, New Hanover, Onslow, Pamlico, Pender, Pitt, Richmond, Robeson, Sampson, Scotland, Wayne and Wilson Counties for debris removal and emergency protective measures (Categories A and B), including direct federal assistance, under the Public Assistance program.
North Carolina residents who suffered losses and damage as a result of Hurricane Florence can get information about disaster assistance at Disaster Recovery Centers (DRC). Find the locations through the FEMA app or at http://www.ncdps.gov/disaster-recovery-centers.
Certain businesses and individuals living in counties with Individual Assistance designations may qualify for tax filing deadline postponements. For more information click here or contact the IRS disaster hotline at 866-562-5227
Fact Check on Hurricane Florence: For verified information and fact-checking, visit Fema.gov/Florence-rumors to be sure any information you receive is accurate.
Please be aware of SCAMS: Federal and state workers never ask for or accept money, and always carry identification badges. There is NO FEE required to apply for or to get disaster assistance from FEMA, the U.S. Small Business Administration or the state. Scam attempts can be made over the phone, by mail or email, text or in person. Anyone who suspects fraud should call FEMA’s Disaster Fraud Hotline at 866-720-5721, or the state’s Attorney General fraud hotline.
U.S. Department of Agriculture Food Assistance for Disaster Relief: Check here for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) updated information.
U.S. Department of Agriculture Disaster Assistance Discovery Tool: Check here to see if you qualify for disaster relief from USDA.
Help with SBA Loans: The U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) offers low-interest disaster loans to help homeowners and renters as well as businesses of all sizes and private non-profit organizations to cover the cost of replacing lost or disaster-damaged personal property. These disaster loans cover losses not fully compensated by insurance or other recoveries and do not duplicate benefits of other agencies or organizations. Contact U.S. Small Business Administration’s Disaster Assistance Customer Service Center by dialing 800-659-2955, or for the deaf and hard-of-hearing, dialing 800-877-8339, emailing email@example.com, or visiting SBA’s website at www.sba.gov/disaster.
North Carolina Assistance Programs
COMMUNITY RESOURCES TO HELP WITH RECOVERY
- United Way North Carolina 2-1-1: www.nc211.org/
- Salvation Army: (800) 725-2769
- Catholic Charities of Raleigh: (919) 790-8533
- Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) disaster resources: 202-708-1112, TTY: 202-708-1455 http://portal.hud.gov
- Career One Stop: 877-872-5627 or TTY, 877-889-5627, www.careeronestop.org
- North Carolina Food Services: 919-855-4800 or www.ncdhhs.gov
- Feeding America: www.feedingamerica.org
- Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina: www.foodbankcenc.org
- Albemarle Food Bank: www.afoodbank.org
- USDA Meat and Poultry Hotline for food safety: 888-674-6854
HEALTH AND HUMAN SERVICES FOR THOSE IN NEED
- North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services: 919-855-4800 or www.ncdhhs.gov
HELP FOR LOW-INCOME FAMILIES
- Helping paying bills for low-income families www.needhelppayingbills.com
HOTLINES FOR EMERGENCY HELP
- If you or someone you know is in immediate danger because of thoughts of suicide
- Suicide Hotline: 800-784-2433 or 800-273-8255 or www.suicide.org
- The National Domestic Violence Hotline: 800-799-7233
- Alcoholics Anonymous: www.aa.org
FARM SERVICES AVAILABLE
- Farm Service Agency: 919-875-4800 www.fsa.usda.gov/state
- The N.C. Cooperative Extension Service: 919-515-2813, has offices in all 100 counties www.ces.ncsu.edu
- FSIS Small Plant Help Desk by phone at 877-374-7435
- Farmers who have an agricultural emergency can call 1-866-645-9403, and find additional information at www.ncagr.gov/disaster
- USDA farm loan fact sheet, click here.
- USDA Disaster handout, click here.
- Hurricane Loss Worksheet, click here.
- Housing Assistance www.nchousing.org
- Rural Development
- Multi-Family Housing Programs: 919-873-2050
- Single Family Housing Programs: 919-873-2051
- North Carolina Department of Transportation: www.ncdot.gov
- Department of Motor Vehicles: 919-715-7000
UNEMPLOYMENT ASSISTANCE FOR SURVIVORS
- Department of Labor: 866-487 2365, TTY 877-889-5627
- North Carolina Division of Employment Security: 866-487-2365, TTY 877-889-5627, www.ncesc.com
TEAR OUT, CLEANOUT, DEBRIS REMOVAL, MOLD REMEDIATION
- Baptist Men of North Carolina: 800-395-5102 ext. 5605 www.baptistsonmission.org
- North Carolina Conference United Methodist Church www.nccumc.org, 888-440-9167
Important Resources for Veterans:
Veteran Disaster Hotline Number: 1-800-507-4571
Employee Disaster Hotline Number: 1-866-233-0152
VBA Hotline Number: 1-800-827-1000
Pharmacy Customer Care: 1- 866-400-1243
Vet Center/Counseling: 1-877-WAR-VETS
North Carolina VA Medical Centers:
VBA Hotline Number: 1-800-827-1000
VA Benefits Regional Office: Winston-Salem
For more updates and contact information visit the Veterans Affairs’ Hurricane Florence website here.
Important Contacts for Energy and Power Companies:
NC Electric Cooperatives: Report a power outage in your county on the cooperatives’ website, NCElectricCooperatives.gov.
Dominion Energy: Save their web address, DominionEnergy.com, to report any power outages in your area, or call 866-366-4357.
Previous Article Next Article