05.08.18

Senators Burr and Tillis Announce NC Disaster Declaration Following Guilford, Rockingham Tornadoes

WASHINGTON, D.C. – Today, Senator Richard Burr and Senator Thom Tillis released the following statement regarding the administration’s Major Disaster Declaration for the State of North Carolina:

“I’m pleased to see President Trump grant North Carolina this critical declaration to help our citizens recover from the recent tornadoes in Guilford and Rockingham County,” said Senator Burr. “This assistance will help families get back on their feet and make their communities whole again.”

“Last month’s tornadoes affected hundreds of residents in Guilford and Rockingham County, and caused damage to homes, businesses, and local schools,” said Senator Tillis. “I want to thank President Trump for approving the disaster declaration so North Carolinians can receive federal assistance as they recover.”

Important Information:

Individuals in Guilford and Rockingham Counties can register with FEMA and apply online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov. Constituents may also call the registration phone number at 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.

Background

Senators Richard Burr and Thom Tillis, and Representatives G.K. Butterfield, George Holding, Walter Jones, David Price, Virginia Foxx, Mark Walker, David Rouzer, Richard Hudson, Robert Pittenger, Patrick McHenry, Mark Meadows, Alma Adams, and Ted Budd wrote to Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA)  Administrator Brock Long to support North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper’s request that the President declare a major disaster for the State of North Carolina, under Section 401 of the Robert T. Stafford Disaster Relief Act, as a result of severe weather that effected Guilford and Rockingham counties on April 15, 2018.

The full letter can be found here.